A Screenshot Tool for 2020 — Gyazo | by Ken | Medium
A Screenshot Tool for 2020 — Gyazo
Screen capture software is ideal for professional productivity. Gyazo is a popular option that’s convenient and easy to use. Read our Gyazo review to learn about features, plans, and more essential details.
What Is Gyazo?
Gyazo is a free way to capture screenshots that comes in the form of software and a browser extension. Whenever you take a screenshot, your image is automatically uploaded to Gyazo and a link is copied to your clipboard.
The unique screenshot links allow you to share them with others quickly. Only you and others with the link can view the screenshots. Your images are automatically private and secure.
Gyazo was first released in November 2009 in beta mode and had its stable release in June 2019. The software is compatible with Windows, macOS, and Linux. It’s also available as a smartphone app and as a browser extension for Chrome, Firefox, and Microsoft Edge.
How To Use Gyazo
Once you’ve downloaded Gyazo, go through the setup process. It only takes a minute or two. After this, you’ll see icons for Gyazo, Gyazo GIF, and Gyazo Replay on your device. Note that Gyazo Replay is only accessible through a paid version of the software.
Hotkey options in Gyazo
Taking a screenshot
Take the following steps to create your screenshot.
Step #1: Click the Gyazo icon or press the hotkey.
Step #2: Click and drag your mouse to capture your screenshot. The pixel size of your screenshot is displayed as you drag your mouse.
When you release the mouse, your image instantly uploads to Gyazo. Your browser will open and display the capture and shareable link.
Optionally, you can tag your image, add a description, or adjust its metadata.
Step #3: Click the ‘Share’ button to select a sharing option, and you’re all set.
Capturing a GIF
Creating a GIF is just as easy, but the steps are slightly different. Here’s what you need to do:
Step #1: Open the Gyazo GIF icon on your device.
Step #2: Click and drag your mouse to begin recording your screen. A small toolbar appears with a stop, pause, and complete button.
Once you click the complete button or wait ten seconds, your GIF will upload to Gyazo, and it’s ready to share.
That’s all there is to it! From start to finish, each process only takes 10 to 15 seconds at most.
Gyazo Pros And Cons
Gyazo has strengths and weaknesses, and that’s typical for any screenshotting tools. Fortunately, the strengths come out on top for this software. The two lists below highlight the main pros and cons.
- It’s very straightforward.
- The software and basic features are free.
- Screenshot links are automatically added to your clipboard.
- You can capture and share within seconds.
- The software lets you create GIFs by capturing videos.
- You can capture and upload using your smartphone.
- Gyazo is compatible with all operating systems and browsers.
- Gyazo For Chrome is rated 4.0 out of five stars based on 200+ reviews.
- The free version only lets you view your ten most recent captures.
- There are no image editing options available with the free version.
- Reviews for browser extension frequently mention bugs in performance.
- There is no flexibility in terms of output: everything is uploaded.
- Links are long and cannot be customized, unless you pay for the Teams version, which for most mainstream users is overkill.
Overall, there’s an impressive list of free Gyazo features. The software and browser extensions are simple and keep your screenshots private. It truly doesn’t take more than mere seconds to capture and share.
The weak spots of this software mostly relate to the limitations of the free Gyazo plan. Restrictions are standard for most free tools and software. In the next section, we’ll highlight the features that come with paid Gyazo plans.
The browser extension bugs aren’t ideal, but it’s worth noting that Gyazo just had its stable release. Small errors during the beta stage of development are pretty common. User ratings for Gyazo extensions are still far above average.
The features you’ve read about so far come with the free version of Gyazo. There are two paid versions; one is for individual use, and one is for team use. The highlights of each version are listed below.
- Browse your ten most recent screenshots and GIFs.
- The free option is compatible with all major OS, web browsers, and smartphones.
- Ads are displayed when you view your captures.
- Unlimited access to all of your screenshots and GIFs.
- Edit images by adding text, boxes, and more.
- No ads are displayed.
- Receive priority customer support from Gyazo.
- Password protected image sharing is available.
- Export all of your captures in a single zip file.
- All of the features that come with Gyazo Pro.
- Private sharing available for team members only.
- Multi-member management that’s easy to use.
- Customized subdomain for your team.
- Receive high-priority customer support from Gyazo.
- Your first 30 days are free once you subscribe.
For unrestricted features and better productivity, Gyazo Pro is a good fit for single users. The easy-to-use tools simplify storage, editing, organization, and sharing.
The free version is undoubtedly useful, but your storage is limited to 10 images. If you’re not sure how often you’ll use Gyazo, download the free software first. You can always upgrade whenever you want.
If you need a capture tool for multiple users, Gyazo Team is the most convenient and useful option. Quickly increase productivity among team members with the simple yet effective features.
Gyazo Browser Extensions
You can access Gyazo directly from your browser by using the Chrome, Firefox, or Edge extensions. Gyazo for Chrome is highly-rated, user-friendly, and has a minimalistic design.
When you install the extension, you’ll see a blue Gyazo logo button. Click the button to take a screenshot. You’ll see a menu with different options.
- Element: Use this option to capture specific page elements like an image or portion of text.
- Free Selection: Use this option to capture any area you’d like; it’s similar to how the Gyazo software works.
- Page: Use this to option to capture the visible area of the page.
- Whole Page: Use this option to capture the entire page.
- Home : Click this button to open Gyazo in a new tab. This page is where you can view and browse through your captures.
Gyazo is a solid pick if you want a fast, easy tool for screen captures and GIFs. Consider using Gyazo Pro if you want increased productivity. This version is ideal for quick captures and effective organization, editing, and storage.
If you prefer a screenshot application that gives you more flexibility after the capture, such as pasting directly in Slack or WhatsApp Web rather than uploading, then you might consider trying ClipClip.